The program coordinator/counselor in the AfterSchool Academy, an after school enrichment program serving youth in 7th and 8th grades, will plan and implement program activities; facilitate daily activities, recruit program participants, maintain program records, and complete other assigned duties.
- Plan and implement weekly afterschool program sessions in accordance with the program funder’s guidelines.
- Develop, organize, and promote interdisciplinary activities through authentic curriculum experiences.
- Plan and implement cultural diversity guest speakers, field trips, high school workshops and creative engaging enrichments activities aimed at strengthening math and reading skills.
- Develop daily lesson plans and lead group sessions after school.
- Develop Individual College Preparation Plans with each youth, and periodically review and revise these plans to reflect changes in the youths’ academic situations.
- Provide case management and counseling (group and individual) to participants to help address any unmet needs of the youth and their families.
- Administer pre- and post-tests and assist with the tracking of participants’ outcomes for the purposes of program evaluation.
- Under the direction of the Program Director, monitor the program’s progress towards goals and develop plans for corrective action as required.
- Complete records and reports to track and assure successful program outcomes.
- Participate in training and orientation as required and approved by the Director for effective program operation.
- Assist in the marketing and recruitment efforts of the program.
- Perform such duties as the supervisor may assign.
- Attend/support Urban League of Rochester events and fund raising functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, human services or social work and or related field required.
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, human services or social work and or related field preferred.
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting, teaching experience is a plus.
- Proven ability to make presentations and lead trainings for groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to relate well to youth from diverse backgrounds and to understand the barriers to success that less advantaged youth often face.
- Ability to function effectively as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of community resources for youth and families is a plus.
- Ability to interface with external parties and community partners.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple, competing tasks and demands.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and be available past 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and on Saturdays. During the school year, the Program Coordinator / Counselor will work weekdays from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and during the summer months, the Program Coordinator / Counselor will work weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.