The Afterschool Academy is an academic achievement program that helps prepare youth in grades 6 to 12 for success in college and careers. The Afterschool Academy’s mentoring component, Project Ready: Mentor, enhances students' academic, social and leadership skills through exposure to new experiences, opportunities and places.
Commitment Time: Minimum of one-year commitment with four contacts per month.
Areas of Involvement: Commitment to developing supportive relationships with one to five
program participants in the Afterschool Academy.
**This is an unpaid, volunteer opportunity**
- Be at least 21 years old
- Pass a screening interview and criminal background check
- Make a 1 year commitment
- Interact with mentee(s) weekly with one face-to-face meeting monthly
- Complete in-person and online mentor training
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of Rochester youth to help them achieve their personal and career goals
- Ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect
- Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives Effective communication skills
- Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds
- Maintain a mentoring caseload of 1 to 5 students.
- Complete Mentoring Central Training courses.
- Complete in person trainings.
- Provide individual and/or group mentoring with assigned mentees for at least one hour per week.
- Document the time spent with each mentee on a Mentor Contact Log that will be updated monthly and monitored by the Mentor Program Coordinator.
- Meet with Mentor Coordinator on a monthly basis to discuss mentee(s) progress.
To Download Application, Click Here: